At the Chapel is a restaurant with 9 bedrooms, a bakery, a wine store, a bar/function room and a south facing terrace, all housed a beautiful converted eighteenth century congregational chapel in the centre of Bruton.
We want all our guests to feel welcome and to have a relaxing visit. Where possible facilities are in place to accommodate all our visitors but the historic nature of the building means that there are some limitations to what we can offer as outlined in the following paragraphs. Please do call or email (contact details are at the end of this statement) if there is anything you would like to discuss or clarify.
- If you have any special access requirements it is useful if these can be specified when booking to ensure any preparations can be discussed in advance.
- Specific food requests, allergies or intolerances can be arranged in advance, please state any dietary requirements when booking.
- Menus and information can also be provided in large print by prior arrangement.
- You can enlarge the font on our website by holding down the Ctrl key and pressing +
- We are contactable and all our facilities can be booked by:
– Internet atthechapel.co.uk
– Email firstname.lastname@example.org
– Telephone 01749 814070
- Bruton is a rural village, and thus public transport is limited however there are two local bus services:
- 1b – Twice daily service from Yeovil and Shepton Mallet.
- 667 – Street, Castle Cary & Wincanton every 2 hours.
- The nearest train stations are Bruton (approximately 10 mins walk), Castle Cary (approximately 10 minutes drive) and Templecombe (approximately 20 minutes drive).
- There are local taxi services that have accessible taxis if required, but they require advance booking. Please ask at the time of booking.
Arrival by Car and Parking
- At the Chapel is easily accessible from the A303, the A37 and the A361 vis B roads.
- There is a small car park area at the rear of At the Chapel. This is situated off Lower Backway and can hold 5 cars on a first come first served basis. Please note access to the car park is tight and there is a steep uphill walk to reach the entrance to At the Chapel on the High Street.
- There is street parking on the High Street outside At the Chapel with a maximum stay of 2 hours. In addition there are unrestricted spaces in the public car park on Higher Backway and in the Station Road car park to the rear of the Godminster shop.
- If you require assistance of any kind, please just ask. We are happy to help with wheelchair pushing or carrying luggage.
Main Entrance & Ground Floor Accessibility
- Please enter At the Chapel through the main door from the High Street. There is a step up from the High Street to the entrance foyer. Please do ask a member of staff to hold the doors open for easier access if required.
- Once in the foyer there are no steps through the ground floor and into the restaurant, bakery shop and hotel reception.
- The front entrance is open during our usual trading hours 0700 – 2300 – see website or call for up to date information.
- The restaurant, bakery shop, wine store and hotel reception are all on the on the ground floor.
- Once through the main entrance there are no further steps or doors throughout the interior of the ground floor.
- All doors and corridors are wide enough for a wheelchair.
- The flooring is solid wood throughout, with a mat in the entrance foyer.
- There is a toilet suitable for wheelchair users on the ground floor opposite the entrance to the restaurant.
- The other guest toilets are situated at lower ground level down a flight of stairs.
- There is step free access from the foyer to the restaurant. Please note that some tables to the sides of the restaurant are on raised platforms (one step up). Please do let us know at the time of booking if you need a table in the lower, central area.
- There is further seating on the first floor gallery. This is accessed via a staircase from the foyer or via a circular staircase from the restaurant. There are steep steps on the gallery itself.
- At lower ground level is the Club Room, a multi use bar and function space. This is accessed down a flight of stairs from the entrance area or the circular staircase from the restaurant. Within the space there are two steps down from the bar to the seating area.
- Dogs are allowed on the first floor balcony and the terrace but now in the restaurant. Both areas are accessed via stairs. We can provide water in a bowl upon request.
- The furniture in both the restaurant and bar is flexible and can be moved on request to accommodate wheelchairs.
- Tables vary in height from 48 to 73cm.
- The doors from the foyer into the ground floor are 1.8m wide.
- Lighting is good in all areas, although lights are dimmed in the restaurant during the evening service to create atmosphere.
- We have a seated, south facing terrace accessed from the rear of the Club Room down two steps. Please just ask a member of staff if you need help.
- There are 9 en-suite bedrooms located over 4 levels. All rooms are accessed via one or more staircases except Room 7 which has level access from the reception area (but unfortunately is not large enough to be classified as a fully accessible room).
- The rooms all differ in size and layout. Most rooms internally are step free but one of the rooms (4) has steps between the bedroom and bathroom.
- Assistance dogs, such as Guide Dogs, are welcome to stay in the rooms.
- Please do speak to one of the team if you’d like to discuss the suitability of any of the rooms for your needs.
Unfortunately, as At the Chapel is a very old, listed building, full wheelchair access to the upper floors is not possible as the only access is via a staircase. Sadly, the design and age of the building does not allow any space for the provision of a lift or dedicated and fully accessible bedrooms. Please don’t hesitate to call if you would like any advice.
- Mobile phone reception is good, but guests are welcome to use At the Chapel’s landline where necessary (and there are phones in each bedroom).
- We are a no smoking building throughout.
- If any food or medication requires refrigeration, please ask and these can be stored in our main fridge on request.
- We have tried to be as accurate and provide as much detail as we can in our Access Statement. We are always willing to give information on any specific aspect of At the Chapel if this statement does not answer your particular requirement.
- Please inform us by telephone, email or letter of any specific requirements, giving us as much detail and advance notice as possible, so we can make your visit as comfortable as possible.At the Chapel
BA10 0AETel: 01749 814070
Email: email@example.comWe hope you enjoy your visit!